The Woodstock Model Railroad Club invites you to come along with as together we build an empire. Stay tuned for progress updates, tips and techniques. All comments are welcome. Email

Thursday, April 10, 2014

An AHA moment!

An AHA moment! 

Larry and I [Glen] got caught up on making streams for bridges along the front of the layout near Valleyview one recent Tuesday night. One of us, probably Larry, thought we should have a culvert coming out of an upper portion behind one set of bridges, thus creating the need for the bridges. I went home thinking about what to use for a culvert and, as I save most things that look like they could be useful, spied some hollow plastic tubes from fax machine rolls. AHA! A section of this could possibly make a pretty good culvert. I have a 10" metal lathe in my basement so I chucked up a short piece of the tube and cut grooves on the one end to simulate the culvert corrugations. Then I used a round needle file to round out the grooves. One could likely use a drill press and a regular round file toward the smaller end and get a similar result or use a triangular needle file. A shot of aluminum paint and some rust paint to simulate weathering and we had our culvert. Now to get it installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment