The Woodstock Model Railroad Club invites you to come along with as together we build an empire. Stay tuned for progress updates, tips and techniques. All comments are welcome. Email ljbrinker@yahoo.ca

Monday, November 11, 2013

Glacial Gravel by Glen McDonald



Early construction
 
Glacial Gravel Here are two shots of a Walthers Cornerstone kit Glacial Gravel being constructed for the Woodstock Huff n' Puff model railroad. It's now in the weathering stage and I've chosen to portray it as a heavily rusted and dirty structure sitting in a quarry amidst gravel dust and dirt. It is sheet metal roofing and siding sitting on a concrete base. Over the years the galvanized metal has had its zinc coating replaced by rust. I favour acrylic paints because they clean up with water. When complete, I give my weathered projects a light spray of Minwax Poly-urethane to seal them which dries pretty flat. I've also used Dullcoat for this as well. I enjoy building model structures and I am very impressed with the fit and detail on Walthers Cornerstone kits. Glen McDonald



Weathered building





No comments:

Post a Comment