The Woodstock Model Railroad Club invites you to come along with as together we build an empire. Stay tuned for progress updates, tips and techniques. All comments are welcome. Email ljbrinker@yahoo.ca

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Paints by Glen McDonald

I tend to favor acrylics because of their flat tones and because they can be thinned and cleaned up with water. I was using craft paints such as the Ceramcoat bottle until last year when I noticed that Home Depot had Behr Ultra acrylic flat base available in in 273 ml. jars for less than $5. Paint personnel will computer tint the base to any desired colour you bring in and will retint to a darker shade at no cost if you don't like the original colour. Have them put a fingerprint of the paint colour on the lid as otherwise the jars all look alike. I use small plastic yogurt containers to mix specialized colours. I  also use aerosol flat colours even though I have an airbrush which I dislike cleaning so use it seldom. But I mainly use various brushes for both paint and powder. I use damp cloths or even my fingers to smudge and mix paints and am not afraid to use patience and experimentation to get what I want. You can always cover it up if you don't like it. I go to visit actual scenes of what I'm modelling and take photographs to work from. I seal things either with Dullcoat or with Minwax spray polyeurothane [cheaper] to avoid handling problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment