The Woodstock Model Railroad Club invites you to come along with as together we build an empire. Stay tuned for progress updates, tips and techniques. All comments are welcome. Email ljbrinker@yahoo.ca

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Spotlight on Ralph Tayler




 
Ralph works on the track in the staging yard
Picture a 7 year old boy  walking in the erecting shop at Turcot yard in Montreal. I was with my grandfather who was a boiler maker by trade and he had taken me to his place of work to show me what he did. Standing next to the drive wheels of a locomotive was awe inspiring to me. Perhaps this was the begiinning of my modeling . For many years I lost track of  modeling until in the early 70"s I was involved in a work related injury and was off work for several months recouperating.  My next door neighbour asked if I would like to help him with his layout and  this relit the spark. Over the Years I became involved with several RR modelers such as Don  Pearce and John Schell also Jack McJannett all these individuals have influenced me a great deal. My preferred scale is HO but I did build an N scale layout in a suitcase for a co-worker who was retiring . This layout ended  up as a glass covered coffee table . I prefer to model in the transition era with late steam and 1st generation diesels, I enjoy scratch building and I would say that bridges such as the Fife River bridge at Don's was probably my biggest endeavour.  


Fife River Bridge on Don Pearce's OWR

No comments:

Post a Comment